Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Albert Eistein once said...

“I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent; curiosity, obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my ideas.”

So most of you who know me well know that I am an all-or-nothing person. I am always 100-110% about anything I do...nutrition/health, joining the LDS church, running (when I wasn't injured), yoga, babies (the science of breastfeeding specifically), and U2 (mostly a teen/early adulthood obsession, but I am going to their concert!), and other naturalistic granola-child things. Whatever it is that I'm obsessed about, I learn everything I can about it and make it a big part of my life!

My newest obsession: reading fiction. I've always been a reader, but I have been on a break from it. I've always enjoyed it, but with my head injury from my car accident in college, I had a really hard time reading and learning, so it was everything I could do to simply get by in college. Incidentally, recovering from my head injury/accident in itself was an obsession to prove to people and myself that I could do it. I was also looking for my religion, so all of my free reading time went to spiritual non-fiction, which ultimately and gratefully led me to the LDS church. Soon after joining the church, I met and married my awesome husband, Scott, started a business (another successful obsession) and now have 2 beautiful children.

So, I'm nursing again, and I thought it would be a great time to pick up reading fiction again. Boy, I should've seen this coming, but I have really enjoyed this journey. I've joined a book club and have read some amazing books. I am officially addicted. I have read a lot of great books (see my book area on the right) BUT the best book I have read in a REALLY long time is (drum roll, please) The Hunger Games and it's sequel, Catching Fire. I couldn't put it down, nor could I stop thinking about it when I wasn't reading. I had to force myself to go to bed, and sometimes couldn't even sleep because I had to know what happened next. Now I'm dying because the 3rd book isn't out yet, and won't be for about a year. (If you haven't gotten the hint already, READ IT...I promise you will love it). Fortunately I am reading another good book now, and I know that there are many other great books out there waiting to be read.

I used to be embarrased/apologetic for being this intense, because I have been told that some people are/were a little intimidated by me and my intense-ness (is that a word?) but I have since accepted that this is who I am. Afterall, life is short. I was born this way, and all my obsessions have led to new knowledge or understandings about myself and life. It has truly made my life and my family's life a fun adventure!

p.s. read the books and tell me what you think! :)

5 comments:

Bud & Kim said...

I'm glad you posted this after we were talking last night. Your book list has several things on it that I want to read. Hopefully I can get to them soon!

Laura said...

I just started a book club too. We are reading Twilight. To be honest, I was not sure I was going to like it and I liked the first one, although I thought it was very puppy dog lovey dovey. But I really enjoyed the 2nd and am speeding through the 3rd.... whenever Addison lets me read.

Heath Hales said...

I am so glad you are obsessed with reading. It is my absolute favorite thing and I love to do it. It is so hard for me to not get so engrossed in books that I forget Ginny. She likes to read too and I am trying to get her to look at books while I read, we arent' quite there yet, though. I will read hunger games, I am just lazy in acquiring books, but I will get to it. In fact I'll try to read it be3fore I see you at thanksgiving!

Bethany said...

I've heard a lot of good about these books. The waiting list at our library is like over 130 people long! So I may wait awhile...

Cassie Lee said...

I just read Hunger Games and loved it and now I'm in the middle of Catching Fire. The first one took me like 2 days. It was such a page-turner. I gave it to my family to read and 2 of them stayed up the entire night and read the whole thing. I'm gld you posted about it because I had heard of it but you got me motivated to read it. Hey, if you're looking for another really interesting book of the same genre, not quite as exciting but good, have you read "The Uglies"? It's a series too. I'm reading so much these days and I love it!